Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"The Rocket" Fires Back. Or Does He??

So it only took 6 days but Roger Clemens finally released his own statement through his agent Randy Hendricks in response to his being included in the recently released Mitchell Report:

"I want to state clearly and without qualification: I did not take steroids, human growth hormone or any other banned substances at any time in my baseball career or, in fact, my entire life," Clemens said Tuesday in a statement issued through his agent, Randy Hendricks. "Those substances represent a dangerous and destructive shortcut that no athlete should ever take.

"I am disappointed that my 25 years in public life have apparently not earned me the benefit of the doubt, but I understand that Senator Mitchell's report has raised many serious questions. I plan to publicly answer all of those questions at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. I only ask that in the meantime people not rush to judgment."

Clemens emphatic denial almost mirrors that of another player destined for the Hall of Fame until controversy struck. Pete Rose spent years denying that he placed bets on baseball before finally coming clean well over a decade later. He threw himself at the mercy of the court of public opinion and Commissioner Bud Selig. End Result?? Pete is still on the outside looking in. Selig was probably his best chance at getting back into baseball even in some limited form. Whether guilty or not, "The Rocket" now faces years of the same questions along with giving years of the same denials. Clemens obviously sees the alternative as a damaging blow to his legacy if not the death nail in any Hall of Fame hopes that remain following the release of the Mitchell Report. Admitting guilt would make it unlikely that "The Rocket" would be enshrined in Cooperstown.

"The Rocket" has made his denial and says he will say more at the appropriate time. I will be waiting Roger. I only hope your explanations hold more water than "The Hit King's" did.

1 comment:

Michael in New York said...

As numerous other commentators have said, when would the appropriate time be? Now seems like a good time to start talking, especially if it's all bunk.